Applying for Your Certificate
After you have finished your coursework, passed student teaching, passed the certification examinations, submitted an electronic portfolio based on Texas educator standards, and your degree is posted, you are ready to be recommended for a teaching certificate. Before we can recommend you, you must apply online for your teaching certificate at www.sbec.state.tx.us.
How to Apply for Your Certificate
With TEA (Texas Education Agency)
You must meet the following requirements in order to be recommended for your certificate:
· All coursework must be completed and grades posted.
· Degree must be awarded and posted on your transcript.
· All required TExES exams must be passed.
· SOME certifications (counselor, principal, diagnostician, etc) require a service record be mailed to us prior to recommendation.
· The application process may take 3-4 weeks from the time that you apply online.
· TEA will process your application only after (a) your $77 payment has been received; (b) you have submitted your TEA-initiated digital fingerprints with the $47 fee and TEA has completed a national criminal background check; and (c) TTU has confirmed to TEA that you have completed all requirements of its approved program and have recommended that they issue your certificate.
· Your certificate will be mailed to the address that you have on your TEA profile.
How to Challenge a Test and Add On Another Certification Area
Once you have your initial teaching certificate “in hand” – that means you have (1) passed the exam, (2) finished student teaching, (3) have your degree “posted” on your transcript, (4) applied for your teaching certificate, (5) passed your fingerprint background check, and (6) received your certificate in the mail from TEA – you can challenge another certification area “by exam only.”
To do this, logon to the ETS website (www.texes.ets.org) and register for the desired test as “certification by exam.” After you pass the exam, apply to TEA for your certificate “certification by exam” (do not list TTU as your recommending entity). Please note that many school districts will want you to have the recommended coursework in the field even though you have added the certificate by exam.